Friday, July 29, 2011

How to Handle the "Strengths and Weaknesses" Question...

Deer In The Headlights?

The one question that usually bothers most people when being interviewed is, "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"  Although I've chosen to strike this one from my professional repertoire of interview questions, I understand that this is still commonly asked.  So, let's unpack what's going on with this question.  The truth is, that we all have strengths and we all have weaknesses.  So, don't go in unprepared and have a blank look on your face as you answer, "I can't think of any." 

Come Prepared

Let's go on the assumption that when an interviewer asks this question, it may be in order to have the candidate consider what he may feel he can bring to the table, and what areas he has been told may need some work.  Cite an example (just one) to support your answers on both the strengths / weaknesses.

Strengths: 

The best advice I can give you is to pick one worthy strength that may be poignant for the position.  Some examples may be:
  • "I have been told that I exercise extreme attention to detail.  I don't tolerate poor workmanship.  An example of this would be...."
  • "I am a stickler for hitting my targets.  Even if I have to work later that expected, I won't let my team down by not pulling through.  An example that comes to mind is when....."
  • "I am passionate about the work that I do.  It's because I realize how much I'm affecting others with the type of work we do at XYZ company.  Just the other day, when a customer came in, I showed this passion when I...."
  • One last noteAvoid using the "I'm a perfectionist" as a strength.  For two reasons: 
    • It's waaaayyyyy over-used.  
    • And perfectionists are generally prone to procrastination....the perfection they seek overwhelms them to the point that they can't ever finish a project until it's absolutely perfect, and they can never get it good enough, so they put it off....

Weakness:  

I generally advise people on this to be very careful not to shoot themselves in the foot.  Be honest, but don't hurt yourself by giving your worst weakness.  The interviewer didn't ask about your worst weakness -- He asked what is a weakness of your's.  Go with one that will not be a deal-breaker. 

Some examples may be:
  • "I find that I tend to get frustrated when other people drop the ball.  An example of this...."
  • "I sometimes over-communicate when it's not necessary.  I have a tendency to be very thorough, and I want to make sure people are clear with expectations, but sometimes, I can get too detailed.  For example..."
  • "Sometimes, when I'm in the middle of a project, I'm working 10 steps ahead of everyone else.  I'm sometimes obsessed when it comes to planning and thinking through all the contingencies or possibilities, and I sometimes find myself working ahead of the group.  An example that comes to mind is...."  
Always Have a Solution:

 I would also strongly advise you include how you've overcome or "mitigated" that weakness you've identified (if you have).  Let me give you an example that I learned about myself. 

I'm from a small mid-western, sleepy town (population 4000) in Michigan.  As a mid-western kid, I was raised fairly sheltered, and was raised basically trusting that people I meet along the way are fairly forthright, honest and truthful.  Side note:  Honesty and truthfulness are not the same, although they're commonly used synonymously.  Honesty is not stealing.  Truthfulness is telling the truth.   

So, as an HR Manager, when I interview people, I basically take what people tell me as forthright, honest and truthful.  That's how I was raised, and you won't be able to change that in me.  But, it's a little bit of a liability (or perhaps a better word is, a "blindspot") that I have when I'm interviewing people.

I'm not gullible, but I generally will give a person the benefit of the doubt when they tell me something.  If they prove me wrong, and had actually lied to me, I'm usually forgiving, but extremely slow to trust them again. 

Recognizing this "weakness" that I take people at face-value most of the time, I've found that I've best overcome this by having other people involved in the interview process.  It gives me other people with which I can bounce off feedback and calibrate the "read" on a person.  That's been my solution to ensuring that I won't mis-read a candidate.  I get by with a little help from my friends....

Summary:  Be truthful, but be smart about your answers.  Give strengths that may be used as a benefit to the company.  Give weaknesses that don't hurt you, but you can show how you've been able to overcome them.  Cite examples of both. 

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention to Personnel Matters....

No comments:

Post a Comment