Thursday, July 14, 2011

Attention Job Seekers

Searching On-Line For Jobs?
I often coach people who are looking for a good job opportunity.  I find, almost without exception, that most of them have concentrated their time on an on-line job search strategy (that is, they've been hunkering down looking on-line for jobs).  The reality is, however, that this may be a very poor use of time. 

"What?  Are you serious?  Why is that?" you ask.

The Real Answer 
Because most jobs available are never posted.  Actually, I believe I've heard that about 90% of job openings out there are never posted.  Although I've not confirmed that number, I happen to believe it's not far off.  Most jobs are filled via word-of-mouth (otherwise known as "by referral"). 

So, with 10% of job openings posted (if that number were true), and most everyone looking for work is on-line looking at that 10% (tip of the iceburgh), it's no wonder that job seekers feel that their resumes go out into cyber-space and they never hear anything back. 

More to come.  I have some thoughts on how to focus on the other 90%.

Kathleen Lapekas - PHR
Action HR Consulting
For Personal Attention to Personnel Matters...
http://www.actionhrconsultant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment